The Unswung Bat

Sunday, July 01, 2007
 
How it Bes

That's pronounced "bees."

For three weeks, while I'm at work I want to put stuff on my blog, but when I get home I'm too tired and I've got better things to do in my one or two hours of free time than spend it on Blogger. So that would be that, except I am clearly not one to abandon my blog. So instead I'm going to try jotting down notes whenever, and posting them at the end of the day.

It will be disordered, clipped and fragmented, and probably lacking in extrinsic or tangible benefit to the reader. Or will it...?

This is a colon:

One P. Hilton (whose by-all-reports lame interview nonetheless tripled Larry King's ratings and who without fail prompts lengthy "news" stories every day, with oddball pictures and screamer headlines like "PARIS REVEALS NAKED FEAR") is now a "celebucon" in the lingo of the (brilliantly trashy) NY Post. This, presumably, is a development from her "celebutante" status in that paper last week. I could care less for updates on the woman, but the linguistic workshop that is entertainment reporting is thrilling to see in action.

A CNN guy, talking about P. Hilton's effects on Larry King's ratings: "She's the number-two guest we could possibly get. The number-one would be Osama bin Laden. What does that say about us?"

A fourth century holy relic was recovered from a Queens pawnshop. Two
dudes of a Grecian ethnic extraction were arrested for stealing it from the altar of a Queens, NY church.

Romanian cinema flourishes in NYC!
Porumboiu's 12:08 East of Bucharest!
Mitulescu's The Way I Spent the End of the World!

Incidentally, that first one links to the Onion AV club. It's one of my favorite things to read currently (there's a long list of favorites, but I read a lot), especially since I have to pore over trade journals like Variety for work. Being an initiate of such jargon as tenpercenteries, shingles, skeins, starrers, bow and prexy, and the neutral, clipped language of these industry reports dictating the course of entertainment media over the next few months, AV club features like "recent celebrity quotes in context" strike me as downright fabulous. There's also a clever set of charts explaining celebrity identity. What I love about it is the style and originality. What kills me is that people actually do need this kind of help putting Hollywoodish things into perspective.

Saw Ozomatli yesterday in Central Park, for free. At the end of their set, they jumped off the stage and started a parade through the audience, nearly causing all the security staff's heads to explode. Most awesome. Then they started a beachball volleyball conga line thing.

Sometimes I do then again I think I don't.



original site + text contents ©2004 twenty oh four by me called it

"Powered by Blogger"



Powered by Blogger