July 14, 2023

for an Old Woman


The first meagre minutes of the day

can’t tempt me from bed, but something from my fever years drives me

out and I am 


in a low, peculiar vantage point,

the screen window above me

catches nettling light I squint through, looking


for the sick heat of other days

for a way out not through this gouged place

for roots not split shells, old names


or chastisement for a fool returning —

my gaze has drifted.

again I look slantwise up. from nowhere


an impossibly opal sunrise

circles the world in pearl ember,

look! I close my eyes and miss you


I haven’t written from this place for years, barely read.

that part of me doesn’t want to eat,

knows like old cats and toothless elephants


know, that sustenance is not the answer,

know to look

elsewhere, but not anywhere I can find


the wind

ruffles the sky,

            listen


are you listening with me?


as water runs softly over my face, falls in tiny thuds

to the wind

tousling


the shifting sides and secret nooks

of that bright unlikely expanse…

a white tarp, of course, stretched over the neighbours’ roof


eyes pushing forty have grown no wiser

and lead me no better than before,

but what did they see for that moment?


somewhere beyond a membranous surface

I took for the sky



No comments: